Celebrating Tradition into the 21st Century
The Episcopal Church of the Saviour has served the people of Hanford for over 130 years. Originally called the San Joaquin Mission, its first service was in a tank house in 1880 with four men as communicants. Our first church building was built in 1882 by a group of enterprising English settlers and situated at the corner of 3rd Avenue and South Douty Street. When the present site was bought in 1906, that small building was moved to its present location drawn on logs by horses. Today it serves as our chapel. Plans for a larger church building began soon after the move, and the foundation stone was laid for the present church in 1910. The first service was in 1911. Since then, there have been considerable changes and additions. For example, the Great East Window was dedicated between 1956 and 1959, and the hand-carved reredos installed in the mid-1960s. However, the essence of the church's mission and its place in the community has changed little. It is a lively place of music, worship, service and education. We would be glad to have you here with us.